Tuesday 8 April 2008

Titrations!

...seem to be all we are doing in Chemistry at the moment, but I'm actually ok with it. I love the magical moment when you add one more drop of acid and suddenly your solution reaches a tipping point, changes colour, and you know its concentration. I'm not too keen on associating "magical moments" with chemistry, but it seems the only way to describe it; it's fascinating how we measure chemicals into our glassware, somewhat messily, trying to achieve the equivalent of the pure logic of the equations in our textbooks - and most of the time to our astonishment it works.

It's also nice working in the lab on the top floor; the class starts at 9am and though the sun hasn't yet reached between the other buildings it reaches us up there; by chance you can look out a window and catch a glimpse of the river and a ferry going by.

Now I think of it though, all this general appreciation of our Chem pracs is probably something to do with my doing three titrations in a row which agreed to near-perfection - precisely, 19.8, 19.7 and 19.7 mL. I never expect the numbers to come out quite right in experiments, but it's infinitely satisfying when they do.

1 comment:

Lab Rat said...

oh ghod yes I remember doing titrations! Phenolphaylin was my favourite, pink to perfectly clear in just one drop, it was fairly magical when it all worked.

And then in the exam we went and got methyl orange, which (if I remember) changes through a large number of obscure peach-like shades to finally end up yellow (my which time, you've gone too far). heh. good times.